Chamomile tea is a traditional and well known remedy for relaxation, meditation, and peaceful through-the-night sleep. Here is some more information about chamomile tea’s magic powers and other natural relaxation potions available for steeping and sipping.
Tea lovers around the world, rejoice!
Of course, a hot cup of tea is the best thing in the world to wake up to. But did you know that tea can also serve as your daily nightcap? A number of herbal teas, specially prepared to aid sleep and relaxation, exist around the world. Their mildly sedative nature, coupled with their soothing aromas, make them the perfect natural alternative to sleep medication.
So, how does tea help you relax?
Isn’t tea supposed to be invigorating in nature? Well, that’s true. But that refreshed feeling you get after sipping a cup of tea comes mainly from its caffeine content. Sleep inducing teas are mostly sourced from special flowers, barks and roots with calming properties, instead of the leaves of the tea plant. We often use the word ‘tisane’ to refer to these caffeine-free herbal infusions.
Meet the magic ingredients in your relaxing cup of tea
Tea for sleep and relaxation can take the shape of single ingredient brews or specially crafted blends. But by and large, the following are the ingredients you can look for while picking out your next bedtime tea.
- Chamomile flower. The base ingredient in some of the world’s most popular herbal teas, the Chamomile flower is known for its potent combination of a welcoming fragrance and stress relieving properties. Gently easing a day’s worth of tension out of your muscles, Chamomile tea helps you unwind and gradually drift into a peaceful state of sleep.
- Kava Kava root. Another popular source of sleep inducing tea, the Kava Kava root specializes in inhibiting your stress hormones. It thus provides mental relaxation, which ultimately helps you feel physically at ease.
- Jasmine flower. Used in a number of herbal evening teas, Jasmine flower petals offer a subtle balance of taste and aroma, creating a light, fragrant brew that can beautifully partner some relaxed reading before bed.
- Lavender flower. Herbal teas sourced from Lavender have a characterizing floral fragrance. They make a lovely relaxing brew when mixed with honey, and are known for their long term benefits in regulating your sleep cycles.
- Licorice root. Licorice root has additional medicinal properties to complement its soothing nature. Try it for improved digestion, as a weight loss supplement, or if you’re prone to frequent throat troubles.
A little more taste to go with your chamomile tea
A little extra warmth is always appreciated on a chilly evening. Spices such as cardamom and cinnamon can be great for that warm, cozy feeling on a winter night. Other additives such as basil and lemongrass can bring a subtle herbal flavor to your tea. If you’re more inclined towards a smoother taste, try honey, caramel or vanilla flavors.
Unwind with a cup of chamomile tea, and bid adieu to stress, sleeplessness, and anxiety. To more tea (and more relaxation) in our lives!
(see our top 12 picks below)
-Which way I ought to go from here?
-That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.
12 best chamomile and herbal teas to buy online
our price rating$
Peppermint, chamomile pellets, spearmint, organic tulsi, lemongrass, . Relax and unwind with this herbal tea that brings together mints and herbs to create an especially soothing tea. Fragrant tulsi leaves, an ancient plant used extensively in India and in Ayurvedic practice, adds yet another ...
Natural Certified Only Natural Ingredients Organic Relax and enjoy this delicious blend specifically formulated to help calm your mind and body Lemon balm leaf and passion flower extract are used to promote relaxation by soothing the nerves
A tea featuring light, fragrant jasmine flowers. Jasmine flower tea is one of the most enjoyable herbal teas available to us today. Its aromatic and flavorful quality is distinct and highly enjoyed by many.
A classic herbal tea with a fruity floral taste. An excellent tea to drink at the end of the day, chamomile has been used for ages as a relaxing drink that is best enjoyed for its flavor as well as for the sense of peace it can provide.
White tea, jasmine tea, rosebud & petals. Blender's Notes:These premium sachets contain a soothing white tea blend to sharpen the mind and arouse the senses. Rosebuds are known to ease nervous tension and have a calming effect. The exotic floral scent of night–blooming jasmine is used as an ...
Tasting Notes:Nurture your health and wellness by soothing your senses with this naturally calming blend of flavorful aromatic herbs. Health-promoting red rooibos provides the dark red base, with a naturally sweet, creamy taste and aroma. The health benefits of rooibos are many; it is full of ...
Organic chamomile blossoms. From Croatia, our entirely organic whole chamomile blossoms pack a sweet and nutty flavor, with a golden, heavenly aroma famous for its calming qualities. Once you've had whole chamomile, and especially of this quality, it's doubtful you'll ever want any other ...
For our unique Vanilla Rooibos tisane we have blended the finest natural vanilla flavor with South African Rooibos. The result is a tasty and aromatic drink with a reddish brown color and a slightly sweet and lingering vanilla flavor. It's a great drink hot or iced, with or without milk and ...
Rooibos tea and natural jasmine flavor. Organic Rooibos herbal tea from South Africa infused with the delicate scent of night-blooming jasmine flowers. If you enjoy classic jasmine tea, keep this one on hand, too, for when you need a caffeine-free treat. Mellow and smooth, delicately sugary ...
Organic Chamomile, Organic Green Rooibos, Organic Rooibos, Organic Orange Peel, Natural Flavors. Chamomile Clementine has a sweet and velvety taste unseen in most chamomile blends. This unique tisane is mellow but complex, and finishes with hints of cinnamon, apple and lime.Caffeine Content: ...